skip to Main Content
Three Suspects Arrested Following Standoff At Residence
L-R: Nicholas Dale Johnson, Kimberly Gayle Matheson, Laura Ann Burchette
Courtesy of Iredell County Sheriff's Office

Three Suspects Arrested Following Standoff At Residence

28-year-old Nicholas Dale Johnson of North Bost Street in Statesville, 48-year-old Kimberly Gayle Matheson of Hugo Lane in Statesville, and 33-year-old Laura Ann Burchette of BJ Drive in Conover were all arrested by Iredell County Sheriff’s Officers. They’re all charged with two felony counts apiece of breaking and entering and larceny after breaking and entering.

Johnson is additionally charged with misdemeanor resisting a public officer and was served with several outstanding felony warrants. Matheson and Burchette were each additionally charged with felony possession of stolen property. A fourth suspect was arrested in this case and charged with a misdemeanor offense.

Last Wednesday (May 26) Iredell County Sheriff’s Office Road Patrol deputies responded to the 700 Block of Bell Farm Road near east Statesville in reference to a break-in at a residence. While officers were on scene, information was received about another residential break-in on Shiloh Road off of Highway 70 East. Additional Investigators responded to that scene as well. Witnesses identified Nicholas Dale Johnson as the suspect in these crimes.

Police learned that Nicholas Johnson, his mother, Kimberly Gayle Matheson, and Laura Ann Burchette had gone to the Wal-Mart Shopping store in Mooresville where they allegedly used stolen credit cards from one of the crime scenes to purchase several items. Investigators responded to the store where they viewed video surveillance showing the group leaving the store in a grey, Kia K5 registered to the fourth suspect who was charged with the misdemeanor count.

Officers responded to an address on Hugo Lane and spotted the Kia in the front yard with a large television sticking out of the trunk. The deputies then surrounded the house and attempted to get someone to come to the door, but no one did. Due to the number of outstanding arrest warrants, and previous statements made by Nicholas Johnson, about how he would never go back to jail, coupled with the fact he had reportedly stolen several firearms recently, the Iredell County Sheriff’s Office SERT Team was activated to assist in apprehending Johnson.

Matheson and Burchette finally exited from the front of the residence, where they were taken into custody by deputies. The suspects were questioned as to where Johnson was, and the three confirmed he was still inside the residence refusing to come out. The deputies continued their attempts to communicate with Johnson to surrender but he refused.

After several hours with no response from Johnson, a search warrant was obtained which allowed deputies to make forced entry into the home. After multiple warnings were given over a loud speaker, gas was deployed in to the residence. SERT team members were forced to enter the home and search for Johnson after he failed to comply

After searching the main portion of the residence and not locating Johnson, a thermal imaging camera was used and located Johnson hiding in the attic. Johnson was taken into custody without any further incident. He was transported to Iredell Memorial Hospital where he was medically checked before being taken to the Iredell County Detention Center.

All three suspects were placed in the Iredell County Detention Center and remained in jail as of earlier today (June 1). Johnson was being held under $641,000 secured bond, Matheson’s bond was listed at $30,000 secured, and Burchette was being held under a $20,000 secured bond. They were all scheduled to appear in District Court today.