The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) announced its NCBWA National Pitcher of the Week for the week ending Feb. 21, 2021. Lenoir-Rhyne’s Andrew Patrick was named the NCBWA Division II National Pitcher of the Week.
Patrick led the Bears to a 4-0 win over eighth-ranked Catawba by throwing the first no-hitter of the year in the South Atlantic Conference. It was the first no-hitter for the Bears since 1997. Patrick went the distance, allowing no runs and no hits over seven innings while striking out six Indians.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
– Atlantic: Tanner Brandon, Bluefield State (Hitter); Daniel Rayfield, Bluefield State (Pitcher)
– Central: Garrett McGowan, Pittsburg State (Hitter); Will Bausinger, Missouri Southern (Pitcher)
– East: No nominees
– Midwest: No nominees
– South: Zach Duvall, Alabama Huntsville (Hitter); Zach Blankenship, Valdosta State (Pitcher)
– South Central: Keone Givens, West Texas A&M (Hitter); Connor Schmidt, St. Mary’s (Pitcher)
– Southeast: Tucker Greer, Young Harris (Hitter); Andrew Patrick, Lenoir-Rhyne (Pitcher)
– West: No nominees
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2021 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
– Feb. 17: Brady Eeles, North Georgia (Hitter, Southeast Region); Parker Morrison, North Georgia (Pitcher, Southeast Region)
– Feb. 24: Tucker Greer, Young Harris (Hitter, Southeast Region); Andrew Patrick, Lenoir-Rhyne (Pitcher, Southeast Region)