skip to Main Content
Grant Of More Than $5 Million Awarded To Hickory

Grant Of More Than $5 Million Awarded To Hickory

Through the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, the City of Hickory has been awarded a $5.4 million grant from FEMA to protect the City of Hickory’s Northeast Wastewater Treatment Facility from future disasters.

The grant is funded through a new mitigation program, Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC), to help local communities, states, tribes, and territories as they undertake hazard mitigation projects, reducing the risks they face from disasters and natural hazards.

A protective berm around the Northeast Wastewater Treatment Facility influent pump station will be elevated, and stream and bank stabilization will be improved along 2,000 feet of Falling Creek. The total project cost is $7,186,898. FEMA will pay 75 percent of the eligible project cost with a federal share of $5,407,285. The remaining 25 percent, or $1,779,613, will be matched by the City of Hickory.

The Northeast Wastewater Treatment Facility is located at 310 Cloninger Mill Road in Hickory. To learn more about the treatment facility, please call City of Hickory Public Utilities at 828-323-7427. For additional information about the BRIC competitive grant program, please visit www.fema.gov/bric or NC DPS: Non-Disaster Grants.

[City of Hickory news release]