An Alexander County poultry operation suffered minor damage in a Tuesday afternoon (March 2) fire. The Alexander County Fire Marshal says units from Ellendale, Bethlehem, Wittenburg, and Taylorsville responded to a chicken house on McAlpin Lane at approximately 5 p.m. Tuesday.
When firefighters arrived the structure was consumed with smoke. Units were able to prevent the fire from spreading. Firefighters cleared the building of smoke although some birds were lost to smoke inhalation. The cause is said to be an electrical issue. Damages are estimated at around $10,000 which includeds the building and loss of birds.[Story Courtesy of Rick Gilbert, WACB]