45-year-old Conya Montgomery Bowens of 8th Avenue S.E. in Hickory was arrested by Hickory Police…
Alexander County will receive close to six million dollars in opioid settlement funds. The Alexander County Board of Commissioners heard a report on the NC Opioid Settlement Funding from David Moose, Compliance & Procurement Specialist, at their meeting this past Monday (July 17).
Moose said that in July 2021, NC Attorney General Josh Stein announced a settlement agreement concerning litigation against several pharmaceutical distributors and manufacturers for their role in creating the opioid epidemic. The national settlement totaled $26 billion, with $750 million awarded to North Carolina.
Alexander County joined the settlement and will receive $5,935,178 in settlement funding over the next 18 years (through 2038). Moose said the funding could increase as additional litigation is settled. The funds can only be used for strategies which address the negative impacts that opioid use has had on citizens.
According to a report on Monday’s meeting, EMS calls for overdoses have greatly increased since the COVID-19 pandemic and the rise of fentanyl use, from 62 calls in 2020 to 90 calls in 2022. So far in 2023, there have been 70 overdose calls, which is expected to reach 120 calls by year end. More details are available at www.alexandercountync.gov.