The App State women’s tennis team defeated ULM, 4-0, at the Deer Valley Racquet Club in Boone, N.C. on Sunday to close out the weekend’s home stretch. The Mountaineers entered Sunday’s competition fresh off of Friday’s 4-2 victory over Louisiana.
Sophomore Ellie Murphy put the Mountaineers up 1-0 over ULM after a three-set thriller on the No. 3 singles court. The Dublin, Ireland native won the first set 6-3, before falling 0-6 in the second. Murphy sealed her victory in the third set, 6-1.
Second off the courts was junior Erika Dodridge, who also won in three sets. After winning the first set, 7-5, and falling in the second 2-6, Dodridge bounced back to clinch the third, 6-2.
On the No. 1 singles court, junior Helena Jansen locked into her own three-set battle after falling 4-6 in the first and edging past her opponent, 7-5, in the second. Jansen clinched the victory with a score of 6-4 in the third set and put the Mountaineers up 3-0 over ULM.
Junior Virginia Poggi swept her opponent, 6-0 6-0, on the No. 4 singles court to seal the Black and Gold’s 4-0 victory.
The Mountaineers will hit the road to challenge South Alabama on April 9 in Mobile, AL before heading to Troy, AL to clash with Troy on April 10. Both matches are scheduled for 11 a.m. starts.
App State 4, ULM 0
1. Helena Jansen (APP) def. Hala Badwy (ULM) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. Erika Dodridge (APP) def. Alessandra Anghel (ULM) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
3. Ellie Murphy (APP) def. Oleksandra Balaba (ULM) 6-3, 0-6, 6-1
4. Virginia Poggi (APP) def. Jimena Garbino (ULM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Olwyn Ryan-Bovey (APP) vs. Madalina Grigoriu (ULM) unfinished
6. Brooke Gruber (APP) vs. Daniela Hernandez (ULM) unfinished
Order of finish: Singles (3,2,1,4)