App State women’s tennis suffered a 4-1 decision to South Alabama on Sunday afternoon at Rivers Street Tennis Courts.
App State falls to 5-11 and 4-5 in Sun Belt action, while South Alabama improves to 12-4 and 7-0 in league action.
The Mountaineers got off to a strong start with a 1-0 lead after claiming the doubles point.
Ksenia Aleshina (Moscow, Russia/Little Champions)/María José Zacarias (San Luis Potosi, Mexico/La Loma Centro Deportivo) kept their hot streak alive after defeating Yu Fujioka/Nikola Kohoutova in a 6-2 victory as the No. 1 duo in the lineup.
Clinching the doubles point were the tandem of Helena Jansen (Girona Spain,Tyler JC/Sandra Anglesjö (Norrköping, Östergötland, Sweden/Fria Läroverken). The pair got back to their winning ways following a 6-4 come-from-behind triumph over Milka Pasanen/Cami Moreno.
Aleshina/Zacarias have won five straight matches and are 8-2 on the season in doubles while Anglesjö/Jansen are now 8-3.
South Alabama took control in singles play, as it won the four singles contests to win the match.
The Jaguars won three of their matches in straight sets. Anglesjö’s contest went to three sets while Jansen’s second set in her battle went to a tiebreaker.
Zacarias came back from a first-set loss to force a third frame with a second-set triumph. The match went unfinished against one of the top players in the league in Fujioka.
Before the match, Anglesjö and Zacarias were recognized for Senior Day.
App State returns to action on Wednesday to host Coastal Carolina at 11 a.m. The location of the match depends on the weather.
1. María José Zacarias (APP) vs. Yu Fujioka (USA), 4-6, 7-5, 1-2, unfinished
2. Nikola Kohoutova (USA) def. Ksenia Aleshina (APP), 6-2, 6-1
3. Milka Pasanen (USA) def. Helena Jansen (APP), 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Otoha Aoki (USA) def. Virginia Poggi (APP), 6-2, 6-2
5. Aina Bernabeau (USA) def. Sandra Anglesjö (APP), 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Peri Tippins (APP) vs. Caraline Scheufler (USA), 0-6, 0-4, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 3, 5
1. Aleshina/Zacarias (APP) def. Fujioka/Kohoutova (USA) 6-2
2. Anglesjö/Jansen (APP) def. Pasanen/Moreno (USA) 6-4
3. Aoki/Bernabeau (USA) def. Tippins/Poggi (APP) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2