App State women’s tennis fell to Coastal Carolina, 4-2, on Wednesday afternoon at Rivers Street Courts.
App State falls to 5-12 and 4-6 in Sun Belt play, while Coastal Carolina improves to 13-5 and 7-3 in league action.
The Mountaineers once again got off to a solid start as they claimed the doubles point for a 1-0 lead.
Helena Jansen (Girona Spain,Tyler JC/Sandra Anglesjö (Norrköping, Östergötland, Sweden/Fria Läroverken) improved to 9-3 and 7-3 in league competition following a 6-2 win over V. De Samucewicz/Jesse Hollins as the No. 2 duo.
After the Chanticleers won their doubles match on Court 3, María José Zacarias (San Luis Potosi, Mexico/La Loma Centro Deportivo)/Ksenia Aleshina (Moscow, Russia/Little Champions) earned their sixth consecutive victory, defeating Somer Dalla-Bona/Jessie Mount to clinch the doubles point. Zacarias/Aleshina are 9-2 overall and 7-2 in the Sun Belt.
The visitors won four of the six singles matches, while Virginia Poggi (Civitavecchia, Italy/Ernest Hemingway) was the lone Mountaineer to win a singles contest. Poggi defeated Valentina Urelli in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, as the No. 4 in the lineup.
CCU’s four wins in singles were in straight sets. Aleshina nearly forced the third frame after forcing a tiebreaker in the second set but fell 7-6 (10-8).
Zacarias won the second set of her matchup against Dalla-Bona, but the contest went unfinished.
Appalachian returns to action on Friday at 1 p.m. against No. 53 Charlotte.
1. María José Zacarias (APP) vs. Somer Dalla-Bona (CCU), 3-6, 6-4, 0-4, unfinished
2. Kristyna Jurkova (CCU) def. Ksenia Aleshina (APP), 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
3. V. De Samucewicz (CCU) def. Helena Jansen (APP), 6-3, 6-4
4. Virginia Poggi (APP) def. Valentina Urelli (CCU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Jesse Hollins (CCU) def. Sandra Anglesjö (APP), 6-2, 6-1
6. Jessie Mount (CCU) def. Peri Tippins (APP), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5,3,2,4,6
1. Zacarias/Aleshina (APP) def. Dalla-Bona/Mount (CCU), 6-4
2. Jansen/Anglesjö (APP) def. De Samucewicz/Hollins (CCU), 6-2
3. Jurkova/Urelli (CCU) def. Tippins/Poggi (APP), 6-3