App State women’s tennis suffered a 4-0 decision to a formidable Charlotte squad on Friday afternoon at the Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex.
App State falls to 5-13 on the season, while the 53rd-ranked 49ers improve to 18-6.
The hosts won the doubles point then clinched the match with three singles wins. App State battled in the doubles portion, as two of the three matches went to a tiebreaker. María José Zacarias/Ksenia Aleshina fell to Kaayva Sawhney/Ruxi Schech, 7-6 (7-4). The matchup between Sandra Anglesjö/Helena Jansen and Rocio Safont/Emma Wilkins were headed to a tiebraker as well, but went unfinished.
In singles, all three wins for CLT were in straight sets. Zacarias gave the 64th-ranked singles player in the country all she could handle, as she won the first frame before Schech won the second set. The match was unable to finish. Aleshina was on her way to a win as the No. two in the lineup, but the contest went unfinished as well.
App State aims to end the regular season on a high note on Sunday at 1 p.m. against Davidson in the finale.
1. María José Zacarias (APP) vs. No. 64 Ruxi Schech (CLT), 6-2, 4-6, unfinished
2. Ksenia Aleshina (APP) vs. Rocio Safont (CLT), 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
3. Margaux Marquet (CLT) def. Helena Jansen (APP), 6-3, 6-3
4. Kaavya Sawhney (CLT) def. Virginia Poggi (APP), 6-1, 6-2
5. Sandra Anglesjö (APP) vs. Emma Wilkins (CLT), 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
6. Emma Scott (CLT) def. Peri Tippins (APP), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 4, 3,
1.Sawhney/Schech (CLT) def. Aleshina/Zacarias (APP), 7-6 (7-4)
2. Anglesjö/Jansen (APP) vs. Safont/Wilkins (CLT), 6-6, unfinished
3. Brown/Maquet (CLT) def. Poggi/Tippins (APP), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3,1