App State women’s tennis fell to Wofford in a narrow 4-3 decision at the Reeves Tennis Center. App State drops to 1-4 on the season while the Terriers move to 3-1.
The Mountaineers won the doubles point after Helena Figueras/Virginia Poggi downed Kay Kluska / Brittney Wilbur in the clinching contest, 6-3. Ksenia Aleshina/Virginia Poggi started the match off with a 6-2 triumph over Georgia Fischer / Liz Massie on the second court before María José Zacarias/Teodora Sevo fell to their counterparts as the top tandem.
Zacarias bounced back in singles as she defeated Vroman in straight sets with a 7-6, 6-3 triumph for her first win of the season. Wofford got on the board when Anglesjö fell to Kay Kluska in straight sets.
Wofford tied up the contest, 2-2, after Poggi fell to Georgia Fischer (7-6, 6-2). Figueras added to her doubles win as she dealt Emely Kahrs a 7-5, 6-3 defeat, giving App a 3-2 edge.
The contest came down to the last two matches, where Wofford picked up the two wins on Courts 2 and 3. Both Sevo and Ksenia Aleshina came back from one-set deficits but fell in the third frame to their opponents.
Figueras highlighted the day with a singles and doubles victory.
App State returns to action on Wednesday, March 3 against Elon on the road at 2 p.m.
1. María José Zacarias (APP) def. Jenna Vroman (WOF) 7-6, 6-3
2. Lilie Steryous (WOF) def. Teodora Sevo (APP) 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
3. Liz Massie (WOF) def. Ksenia Aleshina (APP) 6-1, 6-7, 6-2
4. Georgia Fischer (WOF) def. Virginia Poggi (APP) 7-6, 6-2
5. Helena Figueras (APP) def. Emely Kahrs (WOF) 7-5, 6-3
6. Kay Klusha (WOF) def. Sandra Anglesjö (APP) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,6,4,5,3,2
1. Vroman / Steryous (WOF) def. Zacarias/Sevo (APP) 6-3
2. Aleshina/Anglesjö (APP) def. Fischer/Massie (WOF) 6-2
3. Poggi/Figueras (APP) def. Kluska/Wilbur (WOF) 6-4
Order of Finish: 2,1,3