Hundreds entered, but only two could win, and those two Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn ticket-design contest winners have been selected, the tournament announced today. The 12th annual Champions Tour event is set for Oct. 13-19, 2014 at Rock Barn Golf & Spa.
Artwork from Shawn Pendleton, a third grader at W.A. Young Elementary School in Morganton, N.C., and Sierra Sharp, a third grader from South Newton Elementary School in Newton, N.C., will be featured on tickets for this year’s Greater Hickory Kia Classic. Both winners will receive the following Grand Prize package:
· $500.00 donated to each winner’s school.
· $100.00 savings bond awarded to each winning student.
· $100.00 Kaplan school supply gift certificate to each winning student’s teacher.
· Rock Barn Spa gift certificate for each winning student’s teacher.
· Picture with defending champion Michael Allen at the 2014 Greater Hickory Kia Classic Media Day on Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.
· Recognition in official Greater Hickory Kia Classic tournament program.
· The two winners will throw out a ceremonial first pitch at the Hickory Crawdads game on Thursday, August 14th during Greater Hickory Kia Classic “Volunteer Night”
“The Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn ticket design contest received many creative, funny and interesting pieces of artwork,” executive tournament director Jim Correll said. “With around 400 entries, our judges had a tough job narrowing them down to 12 finalists, but from there, our Board of Directors voted to select the winners. Congratulations to Sierra and Shawn, and thank you to the more than 400 kids who entered the contest.”
Children from throughout Western North Carolina submitted artwork in hopes of their work being featured on tickets for the 2014 Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn. A panel of judges comprised of people with various connections to the Greater Hickory Kia Classic narrowed the field to 12 finalists, and from there, the two talented young artists were selected. Every student that participated in the 2014 Ticket Design Challenge will receive a free ticket to a Hickory Crawdads game and a free daily ticket for the 2014 Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn.
Greater Hickory Kia Classic tickets may be purchased from greater Hickory-area charitable organizations or through the tournament website, www.greaterhickorykiaclassic.com.
The 12th annual Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn is set for Oct. 13-19 at Rock Barn Golf & Spa in Conover, N.C. The event features a week of special events and attractions, including exhibitions, pro-ams and three days of Champions Tour competition among some of the greatest legends in golf. Operated by the Greater Hickory Classic Foundation, a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit, the tournament donates all net proceeds to charities throughout the Greater Hickory Metro area each year. For more information, please call (828) 459-4000 or visit www.greaterhickorykiaclassic.com. Follow the Greater Hickory Kia Classic on Twitter: @greaterhickory